• Blogging

Life VS Lifestyle Blog

Last week I unexpectedly went M.I.A from the blogosphere ,and I think it is exactly what I needed.

Heading off on a snowboarding holiday with a massive group is one of the most highly anticipated weeks in my calendar, however the run-up to this year’s holiday was absolutely frantic. Despite trying to pull off my very best super-girl impression, I am, in fact a mere mortal and did not manage to tick off all the tasks on my to-do list.

One of these incomplete errands included scheduling blog posts in advance of my trip. This lack of organisation was a massive weight on my shoulders, however, I was confident that after planning a strict schedule, doing some photo editing and drafts before I departed I would be able to stick to my usual blogging routine without sacrificing too much of my holiday.

The first day on the mountain is always a tough one, as a beginner snowboarder I took a lot tumbles, but despite feeling both physically and mentally exhausted I was determined to hobble back to our large Chalet early in an attempt to get some work finished.

As I tried to type away on my MacBook I heard my snow buddies gradually piling back into the communal area where they ate cake and shared stories of their day. I tried to persevere but soon released that I was churning out generic garbage as quickly as possible so I could join in with the shenanigans taking place downstairs. It dawned on me that working like this was not giving my blog, or my friends, the time and respect that they deserved – so I shut my laptop and did not open it again until I got back to London.

Over New Year, I had the same dilemma whilst staying in a beautiful house on the Scottish West coast. That occasion I choose to continue blogging instead of joining in with group walks and games, which I now sorely regret.

Part of me feels disappointed that I did not have enough self-discipline to continue working but mainly I feel that I made the right decision in taking a rare break. Though I still love my online life, last week being plugged in was not a source of inspiration for me; no offence, Internet, though you are filled with greatness there was simply no competition when it came to you versus , 29 friends and snowboarding.

Perhaps I could progress further if I had a little more drive, however, for me success is not just in the numbers it is about experiences and the people that I meet along the way. The important thing that I have to keep reminding myself is that to be a lifestyle blogger I have to have a life outside of my laptop. After a week of hurtling myself down a mountain, conversation, banter and too many beers I feel exhausted but mentally recharged and ready to start creating content.

Do you guys ever struggle with work-life balance? Any tips one how to achieve the best of both worlds?

*Feature image was taken by my lovely friend John Crowe

14 comments

1. I constantly struggle with the work/life balance but I got so stressed out about it that now I just tell myself that I’ll write when I can. Otherwise, like you said, I’ll write any old crap for the sake of it. I try and plan as much as I can in advance, and if a post is taking forever I may just ditch it as my heart maybe isn’t into it as much as I first thought.
    Cx

1. Emma says:

It’s such a hard balance to work out if I am being lazy by not writing or if it is time for a break but you are right there is no point putting out heartless crap.

2. erinniimi says:

I totally get where you’re coming from – and I’m constantly having to create content as part of my day job, too, so I find when I’m on holiday I just need to unplug a little. At the end of the day, having a little break is good – you can take a step back, and be inspired or take a new direction as a result.

Hope you had a great holiday!

1. Emma says:

I had such an amazing holiday thank you. I can’t imagine having to create content for both jobs you have way more creativity than me! I can’t believe how good I feel for taking a little break think I will have to start scheduling and doing it more often.

3. Leanne says:

It really is such a difficult balance but unless it’s your full time job I don’t think you should beat yourself up about it at all! x

1. Emma says:

I know I shouldn’t beat myself up about it but the ambition to make blogging my full time job make me want to work my butt off. x

4. Milly Y says:

Honestly, I had such an amazing time when I went to Download last year and ‘forgot about being a blogger’. I love my blog, but it’s not my number 1 priority – life is. Sometimes I want to schedule some posts and just have a lost weekend with my friends – and if I forget to schedule posts or simply don’t have time, then it’s not the end of the world!

Milly // Mini Adventures

1. Emma says:

Milly I totally need to have your attitude, you are right it is absolutely not the end of the world if I don’t blog

5. themayfairy says:

It’s so difficult, isn’t it? I always feel tremendously guilty when I miss out a few blogs in a week, though I’m sure no one really cares. I just end up feeling that I’m not taking it seriously enough and I’m letting myself down. I have so many ideas for posts in drafts (around 80) but I just never find the time to crack into them!

1. Emma says:

I hate the guilt at not writing enough but the more stressed I get the less I can write its so annoying. Also you a like a blogging machine I am always so impressed by the quality and quantity of posts you produce.

6. Ralph Marion says:

I know how you feel. You want to write and give everyone the play by play when you out, but sometimes it’s best to just enjoy life while you can and talk about it later. Like you said early, if you want to do a lifestyle blog, you got to have a life first.

7. Kirsty says:

I know how you feel. Currently I’m sick as a dog and really cannot even be bothered to stare at a laptop and write something. However, I have taken lots of photos and have complied lots of blog ideas, so I know blogging is still on my mind when really, I should just chill out! I think if you’re really serious about blogging (like you are) you will always feel guilt when the posts begin to dwindle, for whatever reason, but I firmly believe we all need a break! Sometimes, going completely missing from the internet is a good thing! I hope you had a lovely snowboarding trip, I was quietly stalking your shenanigans on Instagram! Haha x

8. Suzy Marie says:

There are times where I feel antsy about not blogging but then I remember that it’s as much about what I want as it is about the pressure to please anybody else. You definitely made the right decision in shutting that laptop! You can sit and blog anytime, but you can’t throw yourself dow mountains with your friends everyday! It’s a hard balance but I think you’ve got it right this time xx

9. […] Despite working tirelessly, there has been little growth over the last few months and that is because once again I had forgotten the key point that to be a lifestyle blogger: you actually need to have time for a life. […]