• Fashion

Dressing Like A Boy

“Why don’t you dress like a girl?” Was the question I got asked on my first day of primary school when I rocked up with my teenage mutant ninja turtles rucksack which was almost the size of me. Despite the fact I had tiny shiny patent shoes, platted skirt and frilly socks the rucksack was what my classmates honed in on. I was wearing it because I liked and I have stuck by that principle ever since.

IMG_2462

I don’t care what side of the shop or section of a website clothes come from, if it catches my eye I will buy it. My style has always incorporated more traditionally masculine elements, not only because I think they look cool but also because I have never been one to sit still and male clothing, generally, is much more practical and hard wearing.

IMG_2502

IMG_2450

I have spoken preciously about how “pretty” just doesn’t appeal to me, so even some of the more hardwearing sports brands which have female options don’t work for me. Most still seem to be stuck on making many of their options with a flash or pink, floral detailing or are tight fitting which I don’t feel comfortable in; I would rather stick to the oversized male versions, which are also often much cheaper.

IMG_2555

This outfit is typical of my style; I am wearing unisex Vans trainers, unisex Cheap Monday jeans, a Killstar bodysuit, a mans Adidas jacket* and a full face of makeup – perfect for a long day of exploring in Amsterdam.

IMG_2493

IMG_2562

I think we are sold a very limited ideal of what is masculine and feminine, but I love those that blur the boundaries. I embrace being flat chested by not wearing bras but wearing ‘boys’ clothing does not make me less of a women, in the same way that a guy wearing makeup or heels does make him less of man.

IMG_2451

I believe that once those items hit your basket they no longer sit in categories of menswear or womenswear, they are yours no matter what your sex. I think there needs to be less focus on labels in fashion; whether it is male, female or the size, buy what works for you and makes you feel awesome.

Having worked in menswear fashion I feel confident in knowing what works for me, often I find myself in the gents department or scrolling the pages of websites such as Scotts to pick up staple pieces from brands that I love.

IMG_2483

IMG_2560

I don’t make a statement with my clothing, I just wear what makes me feel comfortable, confident and fits in with my busy lifestyle; so next time you can’t find what you are looking for why not try a different department?

*I got to choose Adidas Jacket as a complimentary item from the Scotts website but, as always, all opinions and words are my own

17 comments

1. jessieann48 says:

These photos are gorgeous and you look fantastic! Love this look – so comfy too I bet! xo
    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

1. Emma says:

Thank you so much! This look is so comfortable and perfect for exploring Amsterdam

2. Honestly Aine says:

Yes! All of this. I’ve quite a few “mens” items in my wardrobe too. I tend to flip my style a lot, it’s a personality trait..I get bored easily. I always come back to my more androgynous style, my poor mam tried to get me into more feminine clothing for years. I’m with you, I don’t think our clothing defines us, I told her as much. I’m female and I will wear clothes that I like. It’s the only way forward and it’s important to remember that we all have our own style, no matter what the latest trend may be.

Honestly Aine

1. Emma says:

Oh gawd my mum tried to to the same bless her but like you I like switching things up and just wearing what makes me feel good

3. Honestly Aine says:

Also – excellent pictures

4. Fay says:

You are incredibly awesome hun and this post is just absolutely wonderful. I love your look in these photos and your thoughts about the blur between masculinity and femininity. I completely agree that there should be no stigma attached to what an individual wears based on the part of the shop it was bought from. I will definitely be back to your blog ASAP xx

1. Emma says:

Thanks so much for your kind words, 100% agree people should just wear whatever they want and not worry about labels

5. Ah your pictures are always so stunning! I love your style, masculine clothes are definitely more hard wearing which is always a good thing!!

1. Emma says:

Thanks so much lovely, I need to give Pablo full credit for the pictures he is super patient with me.

6. Haydy says:

I LOVE your style, and totally agree, why does it matter what sex it’s made for?! If you wanna wear it, you wear it!

Haydy x Squibb Vicious

1. Emma says:

YES! I wish that message was put other there more

7. I relate SO HARD to this. My sister is very traditionally feminine and my whole life, I compared myself to her and thought I wasn’t a “proper” girl because of how I dressed. Luckily, I’ve finally accepted myself and myself likes being very comfortable!

1. Emma says:

It’s horrid feeling like you have to be a certain way but I think the minute you stop giving any fucks fashion becomes fun!

8. Erin says:

You look awesome, I must say, I have been coveting an adidas jacket for awhile now. Mens clothing is so much better isn’t it? I’m pretty sure that someone decided women’s clothing should fall apart so to keep people buying stuff.

erin | words and pictures

1. Emma says:

Thanks so much! Manufacturers definitely make women’s clothing prettier but so much less practical

9. I remember Eddie Izzard saying “they’re not women’s dresses, they’re MY dresses”, and the same applies here. If you’re wearing it, it’s yours. END OF. “pretty” is something I never had when I was growing up, so it’s something I sort of strive for now. in saying that, my “type” of girl is definitely not one that looks like me – how I represent myself is not my ideal, if that makes sense. it’s just one that feels the most natural, and normal. my “type” of girl is definitely a lot more you than me 🙂

1. Emma says:

I think there is way too much pressure to look a certain way but the people’s style I appreciate the most are those that are comfortable in the clothes that they are rockin